I have never been to an old age home until I made a friend with an older woman whose father was in one for his last months of life. I went along with her, to see the aged, to get a reality check, I knew I had to go. I knew I was going to learn something there.
And it didn’t take long.
There she was. A woman in her 90’s sitting hunched over in the chair at the back of the room, she was so close to death you could smell it. Her back arched from years of life weighing down on her. I sat with her as my friend tended her father who was unable to feed himself.
As she began to speak I had to ask her to repeat herself. Her words were slightly muffled. She repeated herself. ”I have no family, no one visits me. I am alone.” I touched her hand. She was a stranger, I didn’t want to overstep my boundaries. But my heart went out to her. I wish I could comfort her more. I was angry. Where were her children, why is her family not supporting her here.
”I have done nothing with my life.”
Her words came down on me like a brick wall. I had nothing to say to her for comfort, her statement was irreversible. She was at the end now and there was no going back for her to relive a meaningful life.
I think about what she said often. I sometimes transport myself into the future, where I am old. I ask myself. ”What can my heart look back on over my life, so that I know I have lived fruitful, a life that pleased God?”
10 life reminders to myself
- Put God first in everything ( Have you heard DENZEL WASHINGTONS AWESOME SPEECH ON THIS?)
- Work hard. HARD WORK, WORKS. Working hard is what successful people do.
- Have goals. Apply discipline and constancy. You have to work at it. Plan. EVERY DAY! Not every now and then.
- Just because you are doing a lot more, doesn’t mean you are getting a lot done. Don’t confuse movement with progress.
- You cannot take the money you make with you. It is not how much you have, it is what you do with what you have.
- HELP OTHERS, THIS IS EVERYTHING.
- SAY THANK YOU TO GOD. FOR GRACE, MERCY, LOVE. True desire in your heart for anything good, is proof from God sent beforehand to indicate that it is yours. Anything you want that is good, you can have it, work hard to get it. When you have it, reach back and help others.
- Don’t just aspire to make a living, aspire to make a difference.
- Don’t settle for a life less than what you are capable of living. Take risks.
- DO not quit.
There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
WHAT WOULD YOUR LIFE ADVICE BE? SHARE WITH ME WHAT YOU LIVE BY? I would love to know.